Governor Sisolak Portraitcall for proposals
The State of Nevada invites professional artists with previous experience in commissioned portraiture work to submit a proposal to paint the official portrait of Governor Steven Sisolak. The portrait will hang in the Nevada State Capitol. Pursuant to NRS 223.121 the portrait must be painted in oil paint and be appropriately framed. The painting and framing must be done in the same manner, style, and size (34” – 38” wide, and 48” – 51 3/8”) tall as the portraits of former Governors displayed in the Capitol Building. The maximum compensation for the preparation of the portrait, which must include all supplies, framing, hanging hardware, shipping, and travel expenses is $30,000.
This opportunity is open to all professional portrait artists living in the United States with demonstrated experience in commissioned portraiture work. Applicants must demonstrate the ability to complete the project as proposed, agree to the available budget, and comply with the stated project timeline. Applicants must possess the ability to paint from a photographic reference, and work samples must demonstrate the ability to create works in a similar style and manner as previous Nevada Gubernatorial Portraits. Work samples submitted that do not provide evidence of eligibility listed above will not be considered.
Upon selection of the artist, a contract between the artist and the State of Nevada will be generated. Artist must be able to register as a vendor with the State of Nevada and have an active Nevada State business license. Unless otherwise arranged, 50% of payment will be made after contract, and the remainder 50% of payment for the portrait will be made upon delivery of the approved and framed portrait within 6 months.
August 30, 2022, 9am PT
September 19, 2022, 12pm PT EXTENDED: September 30, 2022, 5pm PT
COMMISSION AMOUNT: $30,000
Professional Portraiture Artists living in the United States
Artist Services Specialist
Artist Services Specialist
A review panel will adjudicate eligible applications using the criteria below. Upon completion of the adjudicating process, the committee shall present their recommendation of the ranked finalist to Governor Sisolak for final review and commission.
- Artistic quality and demonstration of the ability to paint in the same manner, style, and size as the portraits of former Governors as displayed in the Capitol Building (10 pts)
- Evidence of previous successful completion of similar projects (5 pts)
APPLICATION SUPPORT MATERIALS
All materials below must be submitted online with your completed application.
- A short statement of why the artist is interested in being considered for this commission.
- One-page budget, detailing the artist’s fee, materials, insurance, travel, shipping, framing, and other costs that may be associated with the project (all must fall within the $30,000 project budget).
- Resume of artist’s education and professional experience (not to exceed 3 pages)
- Two professional references.
- Up to 10 work samples, including full figures and detailed images.
- Link to artist’s website or online portfolio
INFORMATION FOR WORK SAMPLES
- Panelists will review applications and work samples online. Applicants should submit the highest quality of work samples for review
- Do not combine several angles or multiple pieces within one image
- Do not submit reviews, brochures, publicity materials, or other extraneous matter
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the application and upload application support materials online here.
To download the guidelines, click here.